Thursday, July 3, 2014

Start, Stop, Continue

So while getting back into blogging, I ran across this Start, Stop, Continue post over at Teaching Statistics . Here goes my rendition of the strategy:

3 things to Start:
1. Blogging again- Getting the ideas out there is a valuable part of self reflection and sharing what I have to offer.

2. My BYOD journey- I got to attend the training sessions for the pilot 1/2 year of BYOD in my district last year. I couldn't be our building's official BYOD teacher because of an issue with school politics, but this fall they are adding over 100 teachers to the BYOD program. I'm very excited to continue the journey and grow as a professional facilitating lessons using higher level technology.

3. Adjunct Professor at a local university- My ultimate goal is to have the privilege of teaching students that want to be teachers. I am being given the honor of teaching the technology methods courses at the university that I earned my undergraduate degree at. I am beyond excited to get to work with the professors that I learned so much from and to be sharing educational technology.

3 things to Stop:
1. Self doubt- I really have to focus on putting myself out there and going for what I want to achieve. I do have something valuable to contribute.

2. Volunteering for so many things- I have been on tons of committees for years at my school. I'm at the point in my life that I want to explore other things and get involved more socially. I will learn to say, "NO."

3. Wasting moments- Life is short and things happen all the time. Moments are precious.

3 things to Continue:
1. Using twitter for personal PD. I love all of the things that I am learning and finding through watching the twitter feeds. I have found that it is far easier to follow the hashtags using tweetdeck than trying to keep up in my home feed.

2. Focusing on the positive. Through a lot of self-reflections, I've learned that I have to make a conscious choice to let the negative comments by others slide. I have to associate myself with the positive people and influences.

3. Focusing on what is important- It is amazing what you miss when you try to focus on it all. All of the brilliance and things that I could have spent doing with Ella or the time wasted worrying or thinking about the things that I can't control. It is time to continue the growth of realizing that I need to give it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment